Have Your Say

Bedford College aims to provide the highest possible standards of service at all times, however we realise that occasionally things may go wrong.

On this page you will find information to help you if you want to:

  • say ‘well done’ to an individual or department
  • make a suggestion
  • raise a complaint

If you would like to say 'well done' or make a suggestion, click here. For complaints, please read the complaints procedure below and complete the form.

You can also visit our Downloads page to view related documents.

HYS Complaints Procedure

Before raising a complaint, we ask that you discuss your concerns with a member of staff, most problems can be resolved quickly and informally in this way.

All complaints will be taken seriously and dealt with quickly – we aim to resolve complaints within 21 working days.

If you are a student and are considering raising a complaint, you should also reflect on whether you have fulfilled your own responsibilities, both in terms of meeting academic commitments and through behaviour which shows consideration for others. If, for example, your problem has arisen partly through non-attendance, or failing to read information provided, it may be more difficult to sustain a complaint.

For complaints made on behalf of another person, the college will require confirmation that you have their permission; this is due to due to data protection.

What can't I complain about using HYS?

  • Academic assessment, e.g. grades and marks. These are covered by the Academic Appeals procedure.
  • Bullying, harassment or discrimination. These are covered by the College's Anti Bullying Policy.
  • An attempt to have us reopen or reconsider a complaint we have concluded or given our final decision on.

We are unable to respond to anonymous comments.

Stage 1: Informal
If you are dissatisfied with the service or treatment you receive you should first raise the matter with a member of staff. Tell them exactly what you are unhappy about and ask for their help in putting it right. Most problems can be resolved quickly and informally in this way.

Stage 2: Formal
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome at Stage 1, you may wish to lodge a formal complaint. You may do this via the online HYS system or with the Quality Administrator.

You must include details of your informal meeting/resolution from Stage 1.

Upon receipt of your complaint, we will:

  • Send you an acknowledgement within three working days of receiving your complaint.
  • Investigate your complaint.
  • Send you a full response; normally within twenty one working days of the date of the acknowledgement letter however on occasion, this may take longer due to staff holidays.

Important information for staff

If your concerns are IT related, please use the IT support form.

If your concerns are maintenance related, please use the Estates request form.

If you wish to report a hazard, please use the report a hazard form.

If your concern is regarding another member of staff, please refer to the Bedford College Grievance Procedure.

Ready to make a complaint? Please follow the steps below:

YouTube Instagram LinkedIn Moodle Higher Education Moodle Have Your Say